This year is “crazy” with pattern and provides tremendous opportunities for large and tall women.   Of course, I realize I keep saying this but, what exactly do I mean?

Well….I mean this.

In a perfect world, the perfect dress, pant, jacket, skirt or shirt, will fall on you in a way that minimizes what you would want minimized and maximizes what you want maximized.  Because of the explosive use of pattern this year, the large and tall woman can actually make that perfect dress.
Marcy Tilton, at  http://www.marcytilton.com/  is one of many designers who are now creating patterns that allow you to build a look.  I am familiar with this designer principally through her association with Vogue patterns.  This year I see a lot of her "influence."    Whether you are 16 or 70, you might find it helpful to take a look at her work.

This dress to your right, for instance, can be as daring or as tame as you want, with diagonal stripes, calico-- a soft floral…or all three combined.  Built just for you.

I hope, during this next series of blogs to show you some wonderfully effective “building” techniques, used by today's designers.

the wonderful world of stripes

Stripes can be very effective and flattering, but done wrong, your worst disaster.  It is beyond me why fashion designers insist on clothing large women in thin horizontal stripes.   The dress to your far right is passible, but the other two are just not fair.  REALLY!!!

I am a firm supporter of bold, wider lines.  For instance, the middle dress has the right idea.  It is creating a thinning illusion but, where is the style?  It is not daring, the monotony of the thin stripe makes it less appealing than a candy striper.

Sadly, the dress on the far right is not appropriate for a large woman.  Again, the lines are too thin, and all you are going to see is a big fat bumble bee…like the one on the far left.  (Which I am not even going to discuss.)  The diagonal cut is excellent, but the black lines should gradually widen going down the skirt, and gradually widen going from the waist up the bodice.  The lines on the sleeve are probably fine.
Right are dresses with thin stripes, but notice all three break the monotony of the horizontal lines.  Furthermore, although all three have the same stripe width, because the lines vary directionally, a thinning look is created for the hips and waist.

Thin stripes are not out, just use with caution.  You will notice that the busyness of the jacket is used to focus the eyes into the center.  Creating the same effect as the dress below.
In this dress bold, large stripes are going vertically along the hips and because the horizontal stripes are more intense (it could be an illusion, but the black and white lines look a little thinner), you immediately see the short vertical stripes.  Thus by visually breaking up the space, but in a way that focuses the attention on a narrow front panel, a wonderful thinning illusion is created.

Here are a few more designers I thought made very effective use of stripes.

And of course, check out my Pinterest site for even more great stripes.
Picture
Yes, you can fail with wide stripes, but here the stripes are not put into a context.

Nicely done.
Picture
This site http://www.fashiontofigure.com/ had some very nice ideas.  Why does this dress work?Much thinner stripe, but notice bold black diagonal stripe, irregular hem and short sleeves.  The smaller stripe creates more of a background look so that the object of the design is the black stripe.

Picture
Notice the stripes although thin, are diagonal

Comments

04/11/2015 5:40pm

I was never afraid of my height! But I always felt as I am way too disproportionate and I could solve this problem with stripes!

11/02/2015 7:38am

Thank you for sharing this post with us, I am working in Uma and Leopold as a Fashion Designer. The term fashion style simply refers to the way a particular person wears her/his clothes, shoes, bags and other accessories. It can also be determined by the types of clothing items that she/he wears in a given situation. Fashion styles may differ from one person to another because of so many reasons.

01/09/2016 4:42am

Really your all pattern style its outstanding but I like allot your stripes pattern specially blue and white pattern its amazing and I am definitely purchase this same pattern in my nearest store.

04/23/2016 7:45am

Hi to all! Excellent post! Creating an essay is a difficult assignment especially if you don't possess remarkable writing skills! If you want to have a well-structured and original essay, click here http://essay-mania.com and you'll see the best result!

04/29/2016 6:12am

Awesome post.All this girls looks amazing and stylish.I see that designers working hard about this dresses.

05/21/2016 2:55am

Very beautiful dresses and girls in it! By the way, I am a writer and if you need good writing help, just visit http://primewritings.net/

06/21/2016 1:27am

I love the dress in this article. I am not good in fashion. I'm a short girl. I don't know what kind of dress is fitted with a short girl like. It is really difficult to choose. I like light color of dress. It fits with my skin tone. I can also rock the slip dress on its own. I just choose one that's longer and make sure that the dress fits me well to avoid a too tight slip dress. My slip dress is a very romantic closet must-have. I can make it edgy in a snap.

06/28/2016 7:33am

An essential element of upholstery fabric is that it not stretch or tear. To that end you will find the fibers of the fabric a courser weave. Style and physical design will also be used to create a denser, tougher, less flexible fabric.

08/15/2016 7:47am

Here is some fashion who really need to keep our life in good methods because we still wait around for lot of things to do in beneficial way and believe that we are looking beneficial.

09/16/2016 8:33am

She is looking so perfect thus lovely woman in delightful dress. I am extremely enamored with your blogging and posting. I like it your each posts furthermore share it to my companions. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing us.

Very unusual and impressive dresses. They would be suitable not only for every day look, but for special occasions as well. This is also what the fashion is for. Thanks for the amazing presentation. You are also welcome.

10/22/2016 4:10am

Thanks.

11/21/2016 3:12am

Very Interesting !! I appreciate your blog its a interesting and it attract other peoples to read this blog.

03/21/2017 4:19am

Hello sir, after I read the article you get to the bottom, It is very interesting to look at, it can provide benefits, and also the lessons, I really like it.

04/06/2017 12:10pm

You really impressed me by this post of yours and definitely positive with lots of stuff. Thanks much.

04/08/2017 5:44pm

Good writer will always give the best reading for the reader. Like the way you write...

05/12/2017 2:23am

This is the explanation that we really need to know at this time. Thank you.

07/19/2017 11:55pm

Furthermore, you will have the chance to start extracting your own when you get to degree 24. In the exact same time, when you capture a new fish, fish from the fish album, you get a free ruby.

09/09/2017 3:51am

Great site. I add this Post to my bookmarks.